Serbian Political Thought
Rethinking the Question of Otherness and Democracy in European Philosophy
In this paper the author questions how European philosophy from the Greeks to Modernity and postmodernity encountered the problem of Otherness as the problem of the stranger. Morover, otherness and alterity were for the most part understood as opposed and threatening to the European “selfhood”. In the second part of the article the author addresses the theory of Costas Douzinas, both its originality and shortcomings as a response to the issue of rethinking new cosmopolitism. In conclusion, democracy, pluralism and identity are analysed in the light of ongoing debates surrounding the dilemma and accomplishments of the multicultural approach. The author argues that alternative cosmopolitism includes not only critical but normative theory as well.
- Badiou, A. (2005) Being and Event. New York, 2005.
- Critchley, S. (2007) Infinitely Demanding, New York: Verso.
- Delanty, (1995) Inventing Europe: Idea, Identity, Reality. London: Macmillan.
- Douzinas, C. (2007) Human Rights and Empire. Routledge, New York: Routledge 2007.
- Derrida, J. (1996) Politics of Friendship. London: Verso.
- Derrida, J. (2002) On Cosmopolitism and Forgiveness. London: Routledge.
- Foucault, M. (2004) Naissance de la biopolitique (Cours au College de France 1978-1979). Paris: Seuil/Gallimard.
- Foucault, M. (2003) Society Must be Defended (Lectures at the College De France, 1975-1976). London: Penguin.
- Foucault, M. (1977) Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison. New York: Random House.
- Hegel, G.V.F. (2007) The Philosophy of History. New York: Cosimo.
- Hegel, G.V.F. (1997) Phenomenology of Spirit. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Levinas, E. (1980) Totality and Infinity. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publisher.
- Levinas, E. (1998) Entre Nous. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Levinas, E. (2006) Humanism of the Other. Urbana: Univerity of Illinois Press.
- Nancy, J.L. (2000) Being Singular Plural. Stanford: Stanford University Press.
- Ranciere, J. (2007) On the Shores of Politics. New York: Verso.
- Žižek, S. (2006) The Parallax View. Cambridge: The MIT.