ОГЛЕДИ И СТУДИЈЕ
PANDEMIC’S EFFECTS ON CHINA’S FOREIGN POLICY AND ITS GLOBAL POWER ROLE
In this paper, we assume that China, like other major powers, does not change its strategic views and behaviour hastily, even being affected by powerful exterior influence like the Covid-19 pandemic. On the other hand, such significant global events could speed up or deepen ongoing trends and changes in major power relations, the global system, and China’s place in it. Accordingly, changes in China’s foreign policy, as the most direct tool of realising its external goals, but primarily being a reflexion of its internal political dynamics and needs for domestic security and stability, should not be affected differently. Although assuming that there have not been and will be no change to China’s foreign policy’s main course and medium-term goals, we study the possible catalysing effect of the pandemic and eventual changes it caused. Our analyses will try to identify and examine these changes and continuities and prove our initial assumptions.
- Abe, Daishi. 2020. “Pandemic-distracted world wakes to China’s maritime incursions.” Nikkei Asia. June 18, 2020. https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/South-China-Sea/Pandemic-distracted-world-wakes-to-China-s-maritime-incursions
- Bandurski, David. 2017. “The Fable of the Master Storyteller.” China Media Project. http://chinamediaproject.org/2017/09/29/the-fable-of-the-master-storyteller/
- Bermingham, Finbarr. 2020. “Coronavirus: China’s medical supply boom, lockdown backlog sparked surprise April exports rise.” South China Morning Post. May 7, 2020. https://www.scmp.com/economy/china-economy/article/3083357/coronavirus-chinas-medical-supply-boom-lockdown-backlog
- Brown, Kerry. 2012. “The Communist Party of China and Ideology.” China: An International Journal 10(2):52-68. muse.jhu.edu/article/482924
- Cao, Desheng. 2018. “Xi’s discourses on mankind’s shared future published.” China Daily. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201810/15/WS5bc38adca310eff303282392.html
- CGTV. 2020. “China’s Sansha City establishes Xisha, Nansha districts in a major administrative move“. April 18, 2020. http://eng.mod.gov.cn/news/2020-04/18/content_4863772.htm
- Clover, Charles and Ju, Sherry Fei. 2018. “China’s diplomacy budget doubles under Xi Jinping.” Financial Times. March 6 2018. https://www.ft.com/content/2c750f94-2123-11e8-a895-1ba1f72c2c11
- Congressional Research Service [CRS]. 2020. “COVID-19: China Medical Supply Chains and Broader Trade Issues.” Congressional Research Service [CRS]. 6 April 2020. chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/viewer.html?pdfurl=https%3A%2F%2Fcrsreports.congress.gov%2Fproduct%2Fpdf%2FR%2FR46304
- Crossley Kyle, Pamela. 2019. “Xi’s China Is Steamrolling Its Own History.” Foreign Policy. https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/01/29/xis-china-is-steamrolling-its-own-history/
- Dai, Bingguo. 2010. “Adhere To The Path Of Peaceful Development,” December 6, 2010. “Zhongguo guowu weiyuan Dai Bingguo: jianchi zou heping fazhan zhi lu” [State Councillor Dai Bingguo: adhere to the path of peaceful development], Waijiaobu wangzhan, 6 December 2010 [戴秉国：“中国国务委员戴秉国：坚持走和平发展道路”，外交部网站，2010年12月 6日. https://china.usc.edu/dai-bingguo-“adhere-path-peaceful-development”-dec-6-2010
- De Weck, Joseph. 2020. “China’s COVID-19 Diplomacy is Backfiring in Europe.” Foreign Policy Research Institute. 21 April 2020. https://www.fpri.org/article/2020/04/chinas-covid-19-diplomacy-is-backfiring-in-europe/
- Eder, S. Thomas. 2018. “China’s new foreign policy setup.” MERICS. August 1, 2018. https://merics.org/en/analysis/chinas-new-foreign-policy-setup
- Erlanger, Steven. 2020. “Global Backlash Builds Against China Over Coronavirus.” The New York Times. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/world/europe/backlash-china-coronavirus.html
- Hatton, Celia. 2020. “Jack Ma: The billionaire trying to stop coronavirus (and fix China’s reputation).” BBC News. 26 April 2020. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52325269
- Howell, Elizabeth. 2020. “Coronavirus isn’t stopping China from launching rockets”, Space.com. 21 February 2020. https://www.space.com/china-launches-rocket-amid-coronavirus-outbreak.html
- Hu, Weixing. 2019. “Xi Jinping’s ‘Major Country Diplomacy’: The Role of Leadership in Foreign Policy Transformation.” Journal of Contemporary China. 28 (115):1-14. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/10670564.2018.1497904
- Los Angeles Times. 2019. “China’s President is the country’s most-traveled leader since Communism — and maybe the strongest.” 25 December. https://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-president-travel-20151225-story.html
- Le, Yucheng. 2018. “A Joint Response to the Big Change of the World and A Joint Effort to Build a Community with a Shared Future.” MOFA, 14 July 2018. https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/wjdt_665385/zyjh_665391/201807/t20180714_678685.html
- Le, Yucheng. 2019. “China’s Foreign Policy in a Fast Changing World: Mission and Responsibility.” MOFA, 8 July 2019. https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/mfa_eng/wjdt_665385/zyjh_665391/201907/t20190708_678760.html
- Marandi, Rosemary. 2020. “Made in India iPhone 11 goes into production in Chennai”, Nikkei Asia. July 28, 2020. https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Made-in-India-iPhone-11-goes-into-production-in-Chennai
- Mitchell, Tom and Charles Clover. 2017. “Xi Jinping’s ambitions on show during epic congress address.” Financial Times. October 18 2017 https://www.ft.com/content/f05cc82e-b3f1-11e7-a398- -73d59db9e399
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the PRC [MOFA]. n.d. “China’s Policy towards Africa.” Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the PRC. https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/zflt/eng/zgdfzzc/t463748.htm
- Mitrovic, Dragana. 1995. Kineska reforma i svet [China’s Reform and the World]. Belgrade: IEF.
- Mitrović, Dragana. 2013. “Economic, Political and Security Regional Mechanisms of Asia.” In Textbook of Regional Mechanisms of Asia, ed. Dragana Mitrović, Belgrade: Faculty for Political Sciences.
- Mitrovic, Dragana. 2016. “‘Sixteen plus One’ in 2015/2016 – upgrading, framing and stepping up cooperation.” Asian Issues 2(1). Belgrade: Institute for Asian Studies.
- Mitrović, Dragana. 2022. “EU–China—Failed Prospects of Win-Win Partnership.” In China and the Belt and Road Initiative: Trade Relationships, Business Opportunities and Political Impacts, ed. Young-Chan Kim, 213-236. Springer.
- Neil, Thomas. 2020. “Great (Power) Expectations: Charting the Evolution of Chinese Foreign Policy.” Macro Polo. 11 May 2020. https://macropolo.org/china-great-power-foreign-policy-covid19/
- Nikkei Asia. 2020. “Vietnam protests Beijing’s ‘unilateral fishing ban’ in South China Sea.“ May 8, 2020. https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Vietnam-protests-Beijing-s-unilateral-fishing-ban-in-South-China-Sea
- Poh, Angela and Mingjiang Li. 2017. “New Trends in Chinese Foreign Policy.” Asian Security 13 (2):84-97. https://doi.org/10.1080/0163660X.2021.1970334
- Powell, Anita and Patsy Widakuswara. 2021. “Biden and Xi Meet in Historic Virtual Summit.” VOA. November 16, 2021. https://www.voanews.com/a/biden-and-xi-meet-in-historic-virtual-summit-/6314912.html
- Reuters. 2020. “Vietnam protests Beijing’s ‘unilateral fishing ban’ in South China Sea.” May 8, 2020. https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-vietnam-china-southchinasea-idUKKBN22K0ZK
- Silver, Laura, Kat Devlin and Christine Huang. 2020. “Unfavorable Views of China Reach Historic Highs in Many Countries – Majorities say China has handled COVID-19 outbreak poorly.” Pew Research Center. https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2020/10/06/unfavorable-views-of-china-reach-historic-highs-in-many-countries/
- Shi, Jiangtao. 2018. “Will China’s new foreign policy dream team be the key to achieving its global ambitions?” South China Morning Post. February 25, 2018 https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2134189/will-chinas-new-foreign-policy-dream-team-be-key
- Shi, Jiangtao. 2020. “Coronavirus: they’re only answering Xi Jinping’s call but are China’s ‘Wolf Warrior’ diplomats doing more harm than good?” South China Morning Post, 27 April 2020. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3081592/coronavirus-theyre-only-answering-xi-jinpings-call-are-chinas
- Small, Andrew. 2020. “The Meaning of Systemic Rivalry: Europe and China Beyond the Pandemic.” The European Council on Foreign Relations. 13 May 2020. https://ecfr.eu/publication/the_meaning_of_systemic_rivalry_europe_and_china_beyond_the_pandemic/
- Takahara, Akio. 2018. “China’s Domestic Politics and Foreign Policy after the 19th Party Congress.” In: Japanese Views on China and Taiwan: Implications for U.S.-Japan Alliance. 1-10. Washington, DC: Center for Strategic & International Studies.
- Tangen Jr, Ole. 2020. “Is China taking advantage of COVID-19 to pursue South China Sea ambitions?” Deutsche Welle. May 26, 2020. https://www.dw.com/en/is-china-taking-advantage-of-covid-19-to-pursue-south-china-sea-ambitions/a-53573918
- The Government of the Republic of Serbia. 2020. “China donates two coronavirus laboratories to Serbia.” The Government of the Republic of Serbia. Last accessed 24 July 2020. https://www.srbija.gov.rs/vest/en/153617/china-donates-two-coronavirus-laboratories-to-serbia.php
- The State Council of the PRC. 2011. “China’s Peaceful Development.” The State Council of the PRC. http://english.www.gov.cn/archive/white_paper/2014/09/09/content_281474986284646.htm
- Tao, Xie. 2017. “Chinese Foreign Policy with Xi Jinping Characteristics”, Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. November 20 2017. https://carnegieendowment.org/2017/11/20/chinese-foreign-policy-with-xi-jinping-characteristics-pub-74765
- Trailović, Dragan. 2019. „Uticaji međunarodnih činilaca na etničke sukobe u Narodnoj Republici Kini.” Phd. diss. University of Belgrade: Faculty of Political Sciences.
- Varrall, Merriden. 2015. “Chinese worldviews and China’s Foreign Policy.” The Lowy Institute for International Policy. https://www.files.ethz.ch/isn/194995/chinese-worldviews-chinas-foreign-policy.pdf
- Wang, Yi. 2003. “Act in Good Faith towards Neighboring Countries and Become Partners with Them.” Qiushi (4): 19-22.
- Wigglesworth, Robin. 2020. “Zambia’s debt crisis casts a long, global shadow.” Financial Times. November 16, 2020. https://www.ft.com/content/35c58b5f-f890-4390-967a-28c0a0a1fb50
- Xinhua. 2018. “Xi urges breaking new ground in major country diplomacy with Chinese characteristics.” http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-06/24/c_137276269.htm
- Xinhua. 2020a. “China’s medical supplies export top 10 bln yuan.” April 5, 2020. http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-04/05/c_138949803.htm
- Xinhua. 2020b. “China’s spacecraft brings home moon samples.” http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-12/17/c_139595094.htm
- A. 2020. “The Virtues of a Confrontational China Strategy.” American Interest, April 10, 2020. https://www.the-american-interest.com/2020/04/10/the-virtues-of-a-confrontational-china-strategy/.
- Yang, Sheng and Zhang, Han. 2021. “’Get-together for Beijing Winter Olympics,’ Xi-Putin virtual talks further boost China-Russia ties amid rising pressure from the West.” The Global Times. 15 December 2021. https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202112/1241597.shtml.
- Zhang, Feng. 2013. “Chinese Exceptionalism in the Intellectual World of China’s Foreign Policy.” In China across the Divide: The Domestic and Global in Politics and Society, ed. Foot R., 43-71. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Zhou, Cissy. 2020. “We’re not Wolf Worriors, we’re only standing up for China, says senior official.” The South China Morning Post. December 5, 2020. https://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy/article/3112733/were-not-wolf-warriors-were-only-standing-china-says-senior.
- Yu, Ning. 2020. “End of history” obsession links to West’s problem with democracy. Global Times. Available at: https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202012/1211467.shtml
- Zarić, Ivan. 2018. „Talasokratska dimenzija savremene kineske geopolitike.” Phd.diss. Belgrade University: Faculty of Political Sciences.