ИЗАЗОВИ ПРУЖАЊА УСЛУГА СОЦИЈАЛНЕ ЗАШТИТЕ У КРИЗНИМ ВРЕМЕНИМА
HABITS AND FREQUENCY OF (ONLINE) GAMBLING AMONG YOUNG PEOPLE IN BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
Gambling of young people as a risky behavior is an increasingly current social problem, but also the subject of numerous researches. The gambling industry is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world, and a significant increase in availability has taken place in the Bosnian and Herzegovinan society. Young people in BiH are entering the world of gambling more often and easier. Bad economic situation, social unrest, high poverty and unemployment rates contribute to this situation. World statistics show that the increase in gambling was significantly affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Omnipresent digitalization during the pandemic, movement restrictions, but also existential uncertainty have opened a new path to online gambling. Therefore, an research was conducted in which the habits of young people (N=174) and their frequency of (online) gambling were examined. The questionnaire results showed that 70.5% of respondents had played games of chance at least once in their lives. Young people usually play one-time tickets and sports betting. Of particular concern is the fact that individuals play online games of chance on a daily basis. They usually invest a smaller amount of money and more than half of the respondents have lost money on betting at least once. The data show that gambling is most often out of boredom, fun and socializing, and they do not consider such behavior to be problematic. According to self-assessment, only 5.9% of respondents believe that their gambling is somewhat or completely problematic, while 3.7% state that the degree of gambling addiction is so high that they need professional help. On the other hand, Bosnia and Herzegovina lacks prevention programs aimed at problematic youth gambling, which is why they remain deprived of professional support. All of this suggests that serious investment in public health and social policies is needed to offer quality prevention and psychoeducational programs.
- Adams, Peter, (2007). Gambling, Freedom and Democracy. UK: Routledge.
- Assessment of the consequences of COVID-19 on society in Bosnia and Herzegovina (2021). Available at: https://www.unicef.org/bih/izvje%C5%A1taji/procjena-posljedica-covid-19-na-dru%C5%A1tvo-u-bosni-i-hercegovini-0, accessed 15 Aug, 2021
- Assessment of the consequences of COVID-19 on society in Bosnia and Herzegovina (2020). Available at: https://www.ba.undp.org/content/dam/bosnia_and_herzegovina/Publications/SIA_II_bhs.pdf, accessed 15 Aug, 2021
- Bijedić, Meliha, Kuralić-Čišić, Lejla, Kovačević, Ranko, Vardo, Elvis, (2015). Navike kockanja srednjoškolaca u dvije urbane sredine u Bosne i Hercegovini (Gambling habits of high school students in two urban areas in Bosnia and Herzegovina.) Socijalne teme, 1(2), 43–65.
- Carrie A. Shaw, David C. Hodgins, Robert J. Williams, Yale D. Belanger, Darren R. Christensen, Nady el-Guebaly, Daniel S. McGrath, Fiona Nicoll, Garry J. Smith & Rhys M. G. Stevens (2021). Gambling in Canada During the COVID Lockdown: Prospective National Survey. Journal of Gambling Studies
- Chóliz, Mariano, Saiz-Ruiz Jeronimo, (2016). Regulating gambling to prevent addiction: more necessary now than ever. Adicciones. Vol. 28, No. 3, 174-181, DOI: 10.20882/adicciones.
- Derevensky, Jeffrey, Gupta, Rina, & Winters, Ken, (2003). Prevalence rates of youth gambling problems: Are the current rates inflated? Journal of Gambling Studies, 19, 405–425. DOI: 10.1023/a:1026379910094
- Diagnostic And Statistical Manual Of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (2013). Available at: https://doi.org/10.1176/appi.books.9780890425596, accessed 10.09.2021. godine
- Dodig, Dora, Ricijaš, Neven, (2011). Kockanje zagrebačkih adolescenata –uloga psihopatskih osobina, rizičnog i delinkventnog ponašanja. [Gambling in Zagreb adolescents – the role of psychopathic traits, risky and delinquent behavior]. Kriminologija i socijalna integracija, 19, 2, 1-122
- Dodig, Dora, Ricijaš, Neven, (2011). Obilježja kockanja zagrebačkih adolescenata. [Characteristics of gambling in Zagreb adolescents]. Ljetopis socijalnog rada 2011., 18 (1) 103-125.
- Downs, Carolyn, Woolrych, Ryan, (2009). Gambling and Debt Pathfinder study. Manchester Metropolitan University RIHSC: Research Institute for Health and Social Change
- Emond, Alen, Nairn, Agnes, Sharon Collard, Hollén, Linda (2021). Gambling by Young Adults in the UK During COVID-19 Lockdown. Journal of Gambling Studies
- Fisher, Sue, (1993). Gambling and pathological gambling in adolescents. J Gambling Study 9, 277–288 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01015923
- Foote, Barbarade, (2018). Predictors of Gambling-Related Problems in Adult Internet Gamblers. ProQuest LLC: Walden University.
- Gambling business data on gambling during Covid-19, Gambling Commission UK (2021). Available at: https://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/statistics-and-research/publication/gambling-business-data-on-gambling-during-covid-19-april-2021-published-june , accessed: 10.09.2021. godine
- Griffiths, Mark, (2003). Internet gambling: Issues, concerns, and recommendations. CyberPsychology & Behavior, 6(6), 557–568.
- Griffiths, Mark, Parke, Jonathan, Wood, Richard, Rigbye, Jane, (2010). Online poker gambling in university students: Further findings from an online survey. International Journal of Mental Health Addiction, 8, 82-89. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s11469-009-9203-7
- Grinols, E. L. (2004). Gambling in America: Costs and benefits. Cambridge University Press. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511510915
- Håkansson, Anders, Fernández-Aranda Fernando, Menchón Jose, Potenza Marc, Jiménez-Murcia Susana, (2020). Gambling During the COVID-19 Crisis – A Cause for Concern, Journal of Addiction Medicine. Volume 14, Issue 4, pe10-e12, doi: 10.1097/ADM.0000000000000690
- Hodgins, D.C., Stevens R.M.G. (2021). The impact of COVID-19 on gambling and gambling disorder: emerging data. Current Opinion in Psychiatry, Volume 34, Issue 4, p 332-343, doi: 10.1097/YCO.0000000000000709
- Hume, M., Mort G.S. (2011). Fun, Friend, or Foe: Youth Perceptions and Definitions of Online Gambling. Social Marketing Quarterly. Vol 7, No 1., 109-133, DOI: 10.1080/15245004.2010.546939
- Javier Mora-Salgueiro, Aitana García-Estela, Bridget Hogg, Natalia Angarita-Osorio, Benedikt L. Amann, Per Carlbring, Susana Jiménez-Murcia, Víctor Pérez-Sola & Francesc Colom (2021). The Prevalence and Clinical and Sociodemographic Factors of Problem Online Gambling: A Systematic Review. Journal of Gambling Studies
- Kockanje i klađenje treći najveći rizik po bh. Društvo.[Gambling and betting is the third biggest risk for BiH societ]. Available at: https://www.aa.com.tr/ba/balkan/rijaset-iz-u-bih-kockanje-i-kla%C4%91enje-tre%C4%87i-najve%C4%87i-rizik-po-bh-dru%C5%A1tvo/1571231, accessed 15.08.2021. godine
- Kovačić, Ana, (2019). Kockanje i klađenje kod mladih. Diplomski rad. (Gambling and betting among youth). Zagreb: Sveučilište u Zagrebu
- Law on Youth of District Brčko. Available at: http://mladi.org/v2/phocadownload/Zakon%20o%20mladima%20Brcko%20distrikta%20BiH.pdf, accessed 15 Aug, 2021
- Law on Youth of the Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina Available at: http://mladi.org/v2/dokumenti/zakoni-o-mladima/zakon%20o%20mladima%20sl%20novine%20fbih%2036-10.pdf , accessed 15 Aug, 2021
- Law on Youth Organization RS. Available at: http://mladi.org/v2/phocadownload/Zakon-o-omladinskom-organizovanju-RS.pdf , accessed 15 Aug, 2021
- Lelonek-Kuleta, Bernadeta, Bartczuk, Rafal Piotr, (2021). Online Gambling Activity, Pay-to-Win Payments, Motivation to Gamble and Coping Strategies as Predictors of Gambling Disorder Among e-sports Bettors. Journal of Gambling Studies volume 37, 1079–1098
- Mandić, Sabina, Lamešić, Lucija, Ricijaš, Neven, (2020). Kockanje mladih iz perspektive stručnih suradnika u srednjim školama (Youth gambling from the perspective of professional associates in secondary schools). Šk. vjesnik 69 (2020.), 2, 349–371. DOI: https://doi.org/10.38003/sv.69.2.12
- McBride, Jessica, Derevensky, Jeffrey, (2012). Internet gambling and risk-taking among students: An exploratory study. Journal of Behavioral Addiction, 1(2), 50-58.
- McCormack, Abby, Shorter, Gillian W., Griffiths, Mark, (2013). An examination of participation in online gambling activities and the relationship with problem gambling. Journal of Behavioral Addictions, 2(1), 31–41.
- Messerlian, Carmen, Derevensky, Jefrey, Gupta, Rina. (2004). Youth gambling: A public health perspective. International Gambling Studies. 4. 147-160.
- Montes, Kevin, (2013). A Comparison of Online and Offline Gamblers: An Experimental Manipulation of Escape. North Dakota: ProQuest LLC.
- Online Gambling Market Size, Share & Trends Analysis Report By Type (Sports Betting, Casinos, Poker, Bingo), By Device (Desktop, Mobile), By Region (North America, Europe, APAC, Latin America, MEA), And Segment Forecasts, 2020 – 2027, Grand View Research (2020). Available at: https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/online-gambling-market, accessed: 10.09.2021. godine
- Petry, Nancy, Gonzalez-Ibanez, Angels, (2015). Internet gambling in problem gambling college students. Journal of Gambling Studies, (2), 397-408.
- Porazna statistika: BiH prva po broju kladionica, 50.000 patoloških kockara (Defeat statistics: BiH first in the number of bookmakers, 50,000 pathological gamblers). Available at: https://index.ba/porazna-statistika-bih-prva-po-broju-kladionica-50-000-patoloskih-kockara/, accessed 15.08.2021.
- Reilly, Christine., (2017). Responsible Gambling: A Review Of The Research. Available at: http://www.ncrg.org/sites/default/files/uploads/responsible_gambling_research_white_paper_1.pdf, accessed 15.08.2021.
- Ricijaš, Neven, (2020). Mladi s problemima kockanja – koliko kockaju i kako vide industriju igara na sreću (Youth with gambling problems – how much they gamble and how they see the gambling industry). Klinička psihologija 13 (2020), 1-2, 47-62
- Shaffer, Howard, Peller Allison, LaPlante Debi, Nelson, Sarah, LaBrie, Richard. (2010). Toward a paradigm shift in Internet gambling research: From opinion and self-report to actual behavior. Addict Res Theory. 18(3):270–283.
- Shead, N. W., Derevensky, J. L., Fong, T. W., & Gupta, R. (2012). Characteristics of Internet gamblers among a sample of students at a large, public university in Southwestern United States. Journal of College Student Development, 53(1), 133– 148.
- Silajdžić, Lamija, Dudić, Anida, (2020). Mladi i ovisnost o informacijsko-komunikacijskim tehnologijama: internet, društvene mreže i mobilni telefoni. [Youth and addiction to information and communication technologies: internet, social networks and mobile phones].. CM: Communication and Media, 15 (47). 57-84. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5937/cm15-26423, Available at: https://scindeks.ceon.rs/article.aspx?artid=2466-541X2047057S, accessed 15.08.2021. godine
- Social Inclusion in Bosnia And Herzegovina: National Human Development Report For 2020. Available at: https://www1.undp.org/content/dam/bosnia_and_herzegovina/Publications/NHDR2021/Summary_NHDR_2020_BSC.pdf , accessed 15.08.2021.
- Svaki osmi stanovnik BIH se bavi kockanjem.[Every eighth inhabitant of BiH is involved in gambling]. Available at: https://ba.n1info.com/vijesti/a376211-svaki-osmi-stanovnik-bih-bavi-se-kockanjem/, accessed 15.08.2021. godine
- Volberg, Rachel, (2004). Fifteen years of problem gambling prevalence research: What do we know? Where do we go? The Electronic Journal of Gambling Issues.
- Vukšić, Nikolina, (2013). Kockanje srednjoškolaca u Slavonskom Brodu i štetne psihosocijalne posljedice. [Gambling of high school students in Slavonski Brod and psychosocial consequences]. Zagreb: Edukacijsko – rehabilitacijski fakultet