ČLANCI I STUDIJE
THE EUROPEANIZATION OF THE WESTERN BALKANS, STRENGTENING THE RULE OF LAW AND FIGHTING THE CORRUPTION
The aim of this paper is to give an overview on how did Europeanization affect the field of the rule of law in the countries of WBs. However, the rule of law is a very broad area, made out of many subareas in the EU’s eyes (as it is in general), and tackling all of them would be too broad and for some periods even too complicated. Their analyzing would definitely exceed the maximum allowed number of pages for this paper. This paper, alongside a very brief overview of the field of the rule of law in WBs countries, will also focus more closely on the fight against the corruption, and in order to make it even more narrow, the emphasis will be on the two current EU candidate WBs countries, Serbia and Montenegro. The results presented in the concluding remarks are somewhat expected given the history and the current state of the two case countries, as well as the WBs overall. The still much needed reform in the field of the rule of law, and specifically in fighting the corruption is a must for these countries.
- Anti-Corruption Agency, Annual report of the ACA 2018. http://www.acas.rs/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/ACAS-2018-REPORT-1.doc
- Bandov Goran and Herceg Nikolina, Research on Europeanization in Literature: From the Top-down Approach to Europeanization as a Multi-directional Process, CADMUS vol. 3, no, 5., Cadmus Journal Services Inc., 2018, pp. 134-144.
- Checkel Jeffrey, “The Europeanization of Citizenship?”, in: Maria Cowles, James Caporaso and Thomas Risse (eds.), Transforming Europe? Europeanization and Domestic Change, Cornell: Cornell University Press, 2001, pp. 180–197.
- Communication From The Commission To The European Parliament, The European Council And The Council, Further strengthening the Rule of Law within the Union, European Commission, Brussels, 04/04/2019; COM (2019) 163 final. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:52019DC0163&from=EN
- Cowles Green Maria, Caporaso James and Risse Thomas, Transforming Europe: Europeanization and Domestic Change, Cornell: Cornell University Press, 2001.
- European Commission, Montenegro Progress Report 2015, Brussels, 10/11/2015, SWD (2015) 210 final. https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhoodenlargement/sites/near/files/pdf/key_documents/2015/20151110_report_montenegro.pdf
- European Commission, Montenegro Progress Report 2019, Brussels, 29/05/2019, SWD (2019) 217 final. https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhood-enlargement/sites/near/files/20190529-montenegro-report.pdf
- European Commission, Serbia Progress Report 2014, Brussels, 08/10/2014; COM (2014) 700 final. https://ec.europa.eu/neighbourhoodenlargement/sites/near/files/pdf/key_documents/2014/20140108-serbia-progress-report_en.pdf
- Featherstone Kevin, “Introduction: In the name of ‘Europe”, in: Kevin Featherstone and Claudio Radaelli (eds.), The Politics of Europeanization, Oxford University Press, 2003, pp. 3-26.
- Hall Peter and Rosemary Taylor, Political Science and the Three New Institutionalisms, Political Studies vol. 44, no. 5, Political Studies Association and Wiley, 1996. pp. 936–957.
- Jano Dorian, The Europeanization of Western Balkans, VDM Verlag Dr. Muller, 2010.
- Keil Soeren, Introduction: Europeanization, State-Building and Democratization in the Western Balkans, Nationalities Papers vol. 41, no. 3, Routledge, 2013, pp. 343–353.
- Kmezić Marko, “EU Rule of Law Conditionality: Democracy or ‘Stabilitocracy’ Promotion in the Western Balkans?”, in: Jelena Džankić, Soeren Keil and Marko Kmezić (eds.), The Europeanisation Of The Western Balkans. A Failure of EU Conditionality? Palgrave Macmillan, 2019, pp. 87-109.
- Konstadinides Theodore, The Rule of Law in the European Union. The Internal Dimension, Hart Publishing, 2017.
- Ladrech Robert, “Europeanization of Domestic Politics and Institutions: The Case of France”, Journal of Common Market Studies vol. 32, no. 1, UACES, 1994, pp. 69-88.
- Lilyanova Velina, Anti-Corruption Efforts in the Western Balkans, briefing European Parliament. European Parliamentary Research Service, 2017.
- Mungiu Pippidi Alina, Controlling Corruption in Europe, Berlin: Barbara Budrich Publishers, 2013.
- Radaelli Claudio, “The Europeanization of Public Policy”, in: Kevin Featherstone and Claudio Radaelli (eds.), The Politics of Europeanization, Oxford: Oxford Univeristy Press, 2003, pp. 27-56.
- Raulus Helena, “The Growing Role of the Union in Protection of Rule of Law”, in: Flora A.N.J. Goudappel and Ernst M.H. Hirsch Ballin (eds.), Democracy and Rule of Law in the European Union. Essays in Honour of Jaap W. de Zwaan, ASSER Press, 2016, pp. 25-38.
- Shentov Ognian, Stefanov Ruslan and Todorov Boyko, Anti-corruption reloaded: An assessment of Southeast Europe, SELDI, 2014.
- Tanzi Vito and Davoodi R. Hamid, Corruption, Public Investment, and Growth, IMF Working Paper no. 97/139, IMF, 1997.
- Vink Maarten and Graziano Paolo, “Europeanization: Concept, Theory, and Methods”, in: Simone Bulmer and Christian Lesquene (eds.), The Member States of the European Union, Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013.