SOCIJALNA ZAŠTITA – OD ZAKONA DO PRAKSE
NOVELTIES AND EXPECTED IMPACT FROM CHANGES IN THE MACEDONIAN SOCIAL PROTECTION LEGISLATION
The new Law on Social Protection (LSP in further text) in the Republic of North Macedonia was adopted in 2019 as part of a social reform process in line with the key strategic goals within the social protection system. The main aspects of the new regulation focus on types, procedures and realization of social protection activities, the system, organization and institutional framework of social protection, as well as cadres, financing and oversight and other issues of importance for realization of social protection. The new LSP introduced many systemic changes which are reasonably interlinked in the text and provide for unhindered accomplishment of the key ongoing processes in social protection, such as deinstitutionalization, decentralization and pluralization in social services delivery.
This article aims to identify impact and challenges related to implementation of the new social legislation, with focus on delivery and financing of social services. The content of this paper is a result of an analysis conducted in 2021 based on qualitative methodological approach and application of techniques of content analysis of relevant laws, bylaws, statistical data, reports, as well as expert interviews with representatives from relevant institutions – Ministry of Labour and Social Policy, Institute for Social Activities and representatives from national social service providers (public and private).
- Bogoevska, N. (2019). Administrative Reforms of the European Social Protection Systems: Trends and Challenges, in: Faculty of Philosophy’s Annual, Volume 72. Skopje: Faculty of Philosophy – Skopje.
- Bogoevska, N., Bornarova, S. (2021). Analysis of the Law on social protection implementation impact and challenges: delivery and financing of social services. Skopje: EPTISA and MLSP.
- Bornarova, S. (2019). European trends in social services’ systems: towards Marketization, User-involvement and Professionalization. Faculty of Philosophy’s Annual, Volume 72. Faculty of Philosophy. Skopje.
- Bornarova, S., Bogoevska, N. (2020). Report on the Current Situation on the Existing Models Of Social Services at Local Level established through CWP And Strategic Planning in the Social Protection, Skopje: UNDP Skopje.
- Carera l. et al. (2020). Regulation of Social Protection in Europe: Selected Countries’ Case Studies. Skopje: Ministry of Labour and Social Policy and World Bank.
- Dimitrijoska, S. et al. (2018). Changes in the Social Protection System in the Republic of Macedonia, in: Social Studies, Volume I Number 1, 2018, Faculty of Political Science, University of Saraevo.
- Flaker, V. (2020). Initial achievements and gaps in the accomplishment of the National Strategy of Deinstitutionalization “Timjanik” and recommendations for further action: Policy analysis and Recommendations paper, IPA Project “Supporting Modernization and De-Institutionalization of the Social Services” implemented by Eptisa.
- Gerovska, M. et al. (2020). Social Protection in Macedonia: Legislation and Practice, Ministry of Labour and Social Policy and World Bank.
- Trbojevik, S. et al. (2013). Social Protection System in Macedonia: Centralized Governance versus Decentralization, in Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, Special Issue, Vol. 4, No. 11, October 2013, (ed.) Bidzina Savaneli. Rome: MCSER Publishing Rome.
- Law on Social Protection (Official Gazette of RNM no. 104/19, 146/19, 275/19, 302/20, 311/20, 163/21)
- Law on social security of older persons (Official Gazette of RNM no. 104/19)
- Family Law (Official Gazette of RNM no. 80/1992, 9/1996, 38/2004, 33/2006, 84/2008, 67/10, 156/10, 39/12, 44/12, 38/14,115/14, 104/15, 150/2015)
- Law on Child Protection (Official Gazette of RNM no. 23/13, 12/14, 10/15, 25/15, 150/15, 27/16, 163/17, 21/18, 198/18, 104/19, 146/19, 275/19, 311/20)
- Law on Local Self-Government (Official Gazette of RNM no. 5/2002)
- Law on Prevention and Protection against Discrimination (Official Gazette of RNM no. 50/2010, 127/10, 44/14, 150/15)
- National Program for the Development of Social Protection, 2011-2021, Government
- of RNM, 2011.
- National Deinstitutionalization Strategy “Timjanik” 2018-2027, Government of RNM, 2018.