POLITIKA, DRŽAVA I DRUŠTVO
BIOPOLITICS AND (POST)HUMANISM
In this article the author discusses the relation between different conceptions of biopolitics in Foucault and Agamben and the idea of humanism inasmuch as it relates to the question of becoming of new subjectivity. In tracing how the differences in understanding of biopolitics in Foucault and post-Foucaldian approach of Agamben influence not only the forms of critique of biopolitics as anti-politics, but also their relation towards a possible new humanistic discourse, the author underlines the specificities of Foucault’s approach, arguing in direction of the idea that Foucault’s homo politicus presents the possibility of a new unique synthesis betwen ethics, politics and philosophy. The author concludes with building the argument that it is exactly a genealogy of the present of contemporary phenomena of biopolitics, as a continuation of Foucault’s approach, that can theoretically enable the possibility of new humanism inasmuch as it arises as a sine qua non of political subjectivity.
- Habermas, J. “The Critique of Reason as an Unmasking of the Human Sciences: Michel Foucault” in Critique and Power, Kelly, M. The MIT Press, Cambridge, 1994.
- Bernstein, R. „Critique as Philosophical Ethos“, in Critique and Power, Kelly, M. The MIT Press, Cambridge, 1994.
- Foucault, M. The History of Sexuality, I. Vintage Book Editions, Random House, New York, 199o.
- Foucault, M. Society Needs To Be Defended, Picador, New York, 2003.
- Foucault, M. Securite, teritorie, population, Seuil/ Gallimard, Paris, 2006.
- Foucault, M.“The Subject and Power“ in Beyond Structuralism and Hermeneutics, The MIT Press, 1996.
- Foucault, „La technologie politique des individus“, Dits et ecrits, Gallimard, Paris, 1994.
- Foucault, M. Naissance de la biopolitique (Cours au College de France 1978-1979), Seuil / Gallimard 2004.
- Agamben, G. The Comming Community, University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1993.
- Agamben, G. Means Without End, The University of Minnesota Press, Minnesota, 2000.
- Agamben, G. State of Exception, The University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 2005.
- Agamben, G. Remnants of Auschwitz, Zone Books, New York 1999.