ESSAYS AND STUDIES
PANDEMICS AND INSTITUTIONAL CHALLENGES IN THE CONTEMPORARY SOCIETY
The analysis of social and political consequences of coronavirus COVID-19 pandemics brought with it a huge number of challenges. Certainly, one of the largest one is the fact that this field is mainly studied from medical and economic perspective, while political and sociological aspects are set in the background. The second problem of our analysis is that it is happening in the moment when is currently happening right before our eyes. This makes any kind of analysis from the aspects of political and social science difficult, because there are no many studies on which we can rely on. This is why the main goal of this paper is to provide us general political and social framework for understanding coronavirus pandemic, without any kind of tendency to provide any kind of final answers. The first part of the paper deals with global preparedness for pandemics, while the second part analyse institutional challenges in the health sector. The numerous processes which characterized contemporary society ultimately have led to the fact that there are no more problems which can have only local consequences. Every local crisis can very fast become a global problem. This is especially important in the field of natural disaster, pandemics, global warming, pollution, security, poverty etc. The coronavirus pandemic has demonstrated the unwillingness of international organizations, and the international community in general, to face with coronavirus pandemic with some kind of global coordinated action. With all these mentioned we emphasis that there are three main lessons which we must be learned from coronavirus pandemic. The first lesson is that there were many signs in the past that some kind of global pandemic will happen in the near future. One of the main reasons why we did not recognize those signs is that large industries did not see the profit in dealing with preventive measures. The second lesson is that there were no reliable studies which can estimate global capacities for dealing with consequences of global pandemic. Because of that many states faced with this pandemic unprepared. The third lesson of the coronavirus pandemic, which is perhaps the most important one, is the lack of global cooperation and solidarity. The pandemic provoked a chaotic response of individual countries which were guided primarily by their own national interests. There were any kind of visible role of international organizations to organize a joint response on a global level, which would certainly be much more effective.
- Bek, Ulrih, 2001. Rizično društvo. Beograd: Filip Višnjić.
- Čomski, Noam. 2020. ,,O korona virusu se sve znalo.” Poslednji pristup 05.04.2020. https://www.rtvbn.com/3981262/noam-comski-o-korona-virusu-se-mjesecima-sve-znalo
- Đurić, Živojin, i Stojadinović, Miša Stojadinović. 2018. „Država i neoliberalni modeli urušavanja nacionalnih političkih institucija.” Srpska politička misao 62 (4): 41–57. doi: 10.22182/spm.6242018.2.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. 2020. Poslednji pristup 24. maj 2020, https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19-pandemic
- Gidens, Entoni. 1998. Posledice modernosti. Beograd: Filip Višnjić.
- Global Preparedness Monitoring Board. 2019. A World At Risk – Annual report on global preparedness for health emergencies. Geneva: Global Preparedness Monitoring Board.
- Held, Dejvid. 2003. ,,Debate o globalizaciji.” Globalizacija, mit ili stvarnost. ur. Vladimir Vuletić, Beograd: Zavod za udžbenike i nastavna sredstva.
- John Hopkins – Center for Health Security and Nuclear Threat Initiative. 2019. GHS INDEX – Global Health Security Index – Building Collective Action and Accountability.
- Kay, Adrian and Owain Williams. 2009. “Introduction: The International Political Economy of Global Health Governance”, Global Health Governance Crisis, Institutions and Political Economy, eds. Adrian Kay and Owain Williams, 1-23. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Kickbusch, Ilona. 2013. “21st Century Health Diplomacy: A New Relationship Between Foreign Policy and Health”, 21st Century Global Health Diplomacy, eds. Thomas E. Novotny, Ilona Kickbusch, Michaela Told, 1-40, London: World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.
- Ministarstvo zdravlja Republike Srbije i Institut za javno zdravlje – ,,Dr Milan Jovanović Batut”. 2020. Statistički podaci o virusu COVID 19 u Republici Srbiji. Poslednji pristup 24. 05. 2020. https://covid19.rs/https://covid19.rs/
- Osterholm Michael. 2007. “Unprepared for a Pandemic.” Foreign Affairs 86 (2): 47-57.
- Perović Miloš, i Aleksandar Ćuković. 2015. ,,Rizično društvo.” Akademska reč (3): 27-43.
- Piketi, Tomas. 2020. ,,Najsiromašniji će vrlo brzo prekinuti izolaciju u potrazi za poslom.” Poslednji pristup 21. april 2020. https://www.rts.rs//page/stories/ci/Коронавирус/story/3175/ekonomija-i-epidemija/3929352/toma-piketi-globalna-ekonomska-kriza-u-pandemiji.html
- Porta, Miquel, ed. 2014. A Dictionary of Epidemiology. UK: Oxford University Press.
- Robbins, Anthony and Berkelman Ruth. 2015. “Lessons from the public health response to Ebola”, Journal of Public Health Policy 36 (1): 1-3
- Robinson, William I. 2020. “The Coronavirus and the Pandemic of Global Capitalism.” Reflections during the Pandemiced, ed. Dasarath Chetty, 14-15, SPAIN: International Sociological Association and Faculty of Political Sciences and Sociology.
- RTS. 2020. „U Srbiji još 68 zaraženih koronavirusom, preminuo 1 pacijent.” Poslednji pristup 24. 05. 2020. https://www.rts.rs//page/stories/sr/Коронавирус/story/3134/koronavirus-u-srbiji/3963488/koronavirus-podaci-zarazeni-srbija.html
- Snower J., Dennis. 2020. “Awakening in the post-pandemic world.” Brookings. Last accessed on March 27, 2020. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/future-development/2020/03/27/awakening-in-the-post-pandemic-world/
- Stan, Sabina. 2009. “The Discourse on the “Crisis of the Health Care System” and the New Governance Model of Health Care in Quebec“. CONTEMPORARY issues, 2 (1): 1-14.
- Šuvaković, Uroš V. 2020. “Reflections on the pandemic: a view from Serbia.”, Reflections during the Pandemiced, ed. Dasarath Chetty, 21-22, SPAIN: International Sociological Association and Faculty of Political Sciences and Sociology.
- Commission on a Global Health Risk: Framework for the Future. 2016. The Neglected Dimension of Global Security: A Framework to Counter Infectious Disease Crises. doi: 10.17226/21891