МЕЂУНАРОДНИ ОДНОСИ И МЕЂУНАРОДНО ПРАВО
WESTERN BALKANS U. S. POLICY IN THE CONTEXT OF THE PRESIDENT TRUMP’S GRAND STRATEGY
Many critics of Donald Trump argue that Donald Trump’s Grand Strategy is an absence of Grand Strategy or that his foreign and security policy is driven by impulses and tactical approach. However, such policy leaves us with practical consequences which mean that we have to follow this sort of a Donald Trump approach to foreign affairs and politics in general. The best guide in that sense would be the 2017 U. S. National Security Strategy idea of principled realism which is the most important written strategic statement of the Trump administration up to this date. If Trump’s approach “is guided by outcomes not ideology” and if “prosperity depend on strong, sovereign nations that respect their citizens at home and cooperate to advance peace abroad”, then the U. S. policy to Western Balkans has to be considered in that context. The Prespa agreement between Greece and North Macedonia is one form of that approach put in practice. Having in mind Belgrade–Pristina negotiations and Bosnia and Herzegovina’s future as well, the main thesis of this paper is that we may expect some kind of unusual approach from the United States to this region, different from the framework that was set up in the 1990s. That will have consequences both for the region and for the outside great powers, especially the European Union.
- Anton Michael, “The Trump Doctrine”, Foreign Policy, Spring 2019, Internet, https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/04/20/the-trump-doctrine-big-think-america-first-nationalism/, 20/04/19.
- Balzacq Thierry, Dombrowski Peter, Reich Simon (eds.), Comparative Grand Strategy – A Framework and Cases, Oxford University Press, New York, 2019.
- Bew John, “Is There a Trump Doctrine?”, The National Interest, December 22, 2017, Internet, http://nationalinterest.org/feature/there-trump-doctrine-23773, 22/12/17.
- Blackwill Robert D., “Trump Foreign Policies are better than they seem”, The Council on Foreign Relations Report No. 84, April 2019, Internet, https://cfrd8-files.cfr.org/sites/default/files/report_pdf/CSR%2084_Blackwill_Trump_0.pdf, 24/04/19.
- Brooks Stephen G., William C. Wohlforth, America Abroad – The United States Global Role in the 21st Century, Oxford University Press, New York, 2016.
- Čeperković Marko, Gaub Florence (eds.), “Balkan Futures: Three Scenarios for 2025”, Chaillot papers 147, August 2018, European Union Institute for Security Studies, Paris, 2018, Internet, https://www.iss.europa.eu/sites/default/files/EUISSFiles/CP_147%20Balkan%20Futures.pdf, 01/09/19.
- Dombrowski Peter, Reich Simon, “Does Donald Trump have a grand strategy?”, International Affairs, Vol. 93, No. 5, 2017, pp. 1013–1037.; doi: 10.1093/ia/iix161.
- Dueck Colin, Obama doctrine – American Grand Strategy today, Oxford University Press, New York, 2015.
- Grygiel Jakub J. A., Mitchell Wess, The Unquiet Frontier ‒ Rising Rivals, Vulnerable Allies, and the Crisis of American Power, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 2016.
- Kahl Colin, Brands Hal, “Trump’s Grand Strategic Train Wreck”, Foreign Policy, January 31st 2017, Internet, http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/31/trumps-grand-strategic-train-wreck/, 31/01/17.
- Krstic Milan, “Donald Trump’s 2016 Presidential Campaign in the Light of the U.S. Foreign Policy Traditions”, Serbian Political Thought, Institute for Political Studies, Belgrade, No. 2/2016, pp. 43‒72.
- Kupchan Charles, How Enemies becomes friends – the sources of Stable Peace, Princeton University Press, Princeton, 2010.
- Laderman Charlie, Simms Brendan, Donald Trump – The Making of a World view, I. B. Tauris, London, 2017.
- Luce Edward, “Henry Kissinger: We are in Gray Period”, The Financial Times, July 20th 2018, https://www.ft.com/content/926a66b0-8b49-11e8-bf9e-8771d5404543, 20/08/2018.
- McMaster H. R., Cohn Gary D., “America First Doesn’t Mean America Alone”, May 30, 2017, Internet, https://www.wsj.com/articles/america-first-doesnt-mean-america-alone-1496187426, 30/05/17.
- Mead Walter Russel, “Jacksonian Revolt: American Populism and Liberal Order”, Foreign Affairs, March/April 2017, pp. 2‒7.
- Mearsheimer John J., “Bound to Fail ‒ The Rise and Fall of the Liberal International Order“, International Security, Vol. 43, No. 4, Spring 2019, pp. 7–50, https://doi.org/10.1162/ISEC_a_00342.
- Musgrave Paul, “The Slip That Revealed the Real Trump Doctrine”, Foreign Policy, May 2nd 2019, Internet, https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/05/02/the-slip-that-revealed-the-real-trump-doctrine/, 02/05/19..
- Nye Joseph, “The rise and fall of American hegemony from Wilson to Trump “, International Affairs, Vol. 95, No. 1, 2019, pp. 63–80.; doi: 10.1093/ia/iiy212.
- Onuf Nicholas Greenwood, World of our making – Rules and Rule in Social Theory and International Relations, University of South Carolina Press, Columbia, SC, 1989.
- Ionut Popescu, “Design and Emergence in the Making of American Grand Strategy”, PhD Thesis, Duke University, 2013, Internet, https://dukespace.lib.duke.edu/dspace/bitstream/handle/10161/8073/Popescu_duke_0066D_12098.pdf?sequence=1, 05/01/2019.
- Popescu Ionut, Emergent Strategy and Grand Strategy: How American Presidents Succeed in Foreign Policy, Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2017.
- Popescu Ionut, “Trump Doesn’t Need a Grand Strategy ‒ Why Planning Is Overrated“, Foreign Affairs, Internet, https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/united-states/2018-05-21/trump-doesnt-need-grand-strategy, 21/05/18.
- Rhodes Ben, The World as it is – A Memoir of the Obama White House, Random House, New York, 2018.
- Seroka Jim, “Directions of U. S. Foreign and Security Policy under the Obama administration with applications to the Western Balkans”, in: Politika Sjedinjenih Američkih Država prema Regionu Zapadnog Balkana i Republici Srbiji, (Dragan R. Simić, Dragan Živojinović, eds.), Univerzitet u Beogradu – Fakultet političkih nauka, Beograd, 2015, pp. 125–138.
- Swanson Ana, Mozur Paul, “Trump Mixes Economic and National Security, Plunging the U.S. Into Multiple Fights”, The New York Times, June 8 2019, Internet, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/08/business/trump-economy-national-security.html, 08/06/19.
- The National Security Strategy of the United States, December 18th 2017, Internet, https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/NSS-Final-12-18-2017-0905.pdf, 18/12/2017.
- Trump Donald J., The Crippled America – How To make America Great again, Simon and Schuster, New York, 2016.
- Vujacic Ivan, Milosevic Aleksandar, “The Economic Consequences of Mr. Trump”, Serbian Political Thought, Institute for Political Studies, Belgrade, No. 2/2016, pp. 25‒42.
- Walt Stephen M., The Hell of Good Intentions – America’s Foreign Policy Elite and the decline of U. S. Primacy, Farrar Straus and Giroux, New York, 2018.